Monday, January 28, 2013

Today Ava Rocked

Tonight, I was able to rock you to sleep; something that has been at the top of my list since you were born. Having you curl up in my arms is a feeling only a parent can describe. It's not easy to put into words, but as a dad, it makes me feel like you're safe and all of the problem of the world slip away as you drift into peaceful dreams.

I've never been one to live in the moment, I've always looked ahead, whether it be the near future or something off in the distance.

Tonight, I drifted a little, but relished the moments of you resting your head on my shoulder and fighting sleep as long as possible. It's inevitable that nights like this will soon be a memory as you grow and become too big, too old, too cool to have your dad rock you to sleep. So for one of the first times in my life, I lived in the moment. I simply watched you as we did our little evening dance and sleep eventually got the best of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment