Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Today Ava Outsmarted Me

I thought I had a few more years before I had to write this headline ... I was thinking 6th or 7th grade minimally. Not 2nd year Pre-K. 

Looks like mom is going to be helping you with all of your homework. 

What am i talking about? Well, we were sitting in the lobby at dance class while Arlee was in there doing Ring around the Rosie. 

We always bring the iPad, not to act as a babysitter, but to give you some entertainment while Arlee is in class and visa versa. 

You and a little boy - Maddox - were watching a clip on YouTube Kids that had Finding Dory theme. 

Since our one-on-one time is limited, I was doing my best to engage with you and the video by asking questions. 

We couldn't recall the turtle's name and suddenly a minute later you said "Crush!" 

"His name is Crush. I remembered because in preschool ..." now, I can't remember exactly how this part of the conversation went so I'll paraphrase. In preschool something you do is called "Squirt" and you brought it back to Finding Dory by making that connection. 

"... and I remembered that Squirt is the little turtle which reminded me that Crush is the big turtle. His name is Crush, dad!" 

Thanks, kiddo. 

Your mind and how it works at this age amazes me. You'll do great things with it. 

Soon, an Octopus came on the screen and we had the follwoing conversation - which, as you can see, I sent to mom.



"We'll just call them legs for now" eh? I'm not the smartest man out there, but give me some credit, sheesh! 

I was floored, how did you know what a Septopus is, or that it was even a thing? It took me until I sat down to write this that it maybe it was explained in the movie and I wasn't paying that close of attention. 

Afterall, Finding Dory is currently the flick you and Chuck are watching in the van. 

Hello, Google. I searched "Septopus Finding Dory" and sure enough a multitude of explanations and references were returned. 

Well done, you outsmarted me.

No comments:

Post a Comment