Saturday, October 14, 2017

Today Ava Played Catch

Coaching soccer has made me doubt my ability to be a good coach. Maybe because it's a sport that I don't know much about, or could be a bit of a self confidence issue, but tonight you reaffirmed that if you ever play softball, I want to be your coach. 

The red van was sitting right outside the garage and the blue car parked on the street. Which opened up the garage and a throwing lane in the driveway. 

The vehicles were arranges as such because your friends Ellie and Sydney came over to play. I had backed the van out to wash it and when Julie and the girls arrived, they parked behind the van. 

While everyone was inside playing "Pony Bingo" I ran to Lowe's to pick up a few items and do some work in the garage. 


After your friends left mom and I went to the garage to work while you and Arlee stayed in for a little screen time. 

Every few minutes I'd peek in the door, ask if you were okay and back to work I went. One time, Arlee didn't answer - I ended up finding her passed out on the couch with the iPad a mere inches from her face. 


Anyhoo ... eventually I coaxed you outside and you piked up a tennis ball that I found while cleaning. 

The light bulb went off. I positioned you near the fridge to give you a backstop in case a ball got past you and I went to the edge of the garage. 

we began by simply bouncing the ball back and forth. Eventually working our way up to a soft toss. 

You made some good throws which boosted your confidence and opened the door for me to do a bit of coaching. 

Mom worked on the step with your throw. You were trying to step with the same foot as your throwing hand. Once she got that down, I stepped in with turning your hips towards me and using the step to drive your front shoulder down, helping you get velocity on the ball. 

The excited giggles and desire to keep moving me back a step with each throw let us know you were having a good time. 



Look at that form! 

Don't pay attention to the attitude at the end. That's something we need to work on and turn into positive energy. 

It reminded me a lot of my younger self, and made me realize that we need to harmess that energy and turn it into a positive. 

As we wound down, mom commented to you that some of her fondest memories from growing up were playing catch with her dad in the yard. 

I'm looking forward to making those same memories with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment