Thursday, October 12, 2017

Today Ava Was My Lunch Buddy

For the past few days now you've been insisting on helping me pack my lunch in the evening. 

This desire began rather randomly one day. Mom sent me a text while I was at work saying that you were upset that you didn't get to help me pack my lunch. 

You and your sister have a hard enough time sleeping, so i'm not about to wake you up at 6:15 a.m. when I typically pack my lunch for the day. 

So, I thought if you could help me pack my lunch in the evening then it would satisfy you as well as allow for a little bonding between the two of us. 

We got Arlee to bed and I said "Let's go!"

You hoped out of your bed and we proceeded down to the kitchen. 

"Dad, you need something different. You can't pack the same thing everyday!" 

Following this lecture for packing the same meal day in and day out, a PB&J sandwich, spinach salad with raspberry vinaigrette dressing and a bit of vanilla yogurt for "dessert," we agreed on some grapes.

As much as I like to think I'm unpredictable, I'm a creature of habit.  

Cutting grapes in half is serious business!
Why are you cutting them in half? Because it's what you know. 

When we pack my lunch, we'll also pack your snacks for preschool the next day. Often times it's grapes and for Loving Hands, they require the grapes to be cut in half to reduce risk of choking. 

So, you employ that rationale with my grapes. I don't want to choke at my desk while eating them!

You don't know it yet, but I appreciate even the few minutes we get to hang out by ourselves! These moments are what I look forward to each night.

No comments:

Post a Comment