Monday, September 7, 2015

Today Ava Needed a Hug

Grandpa Bernie came over this afternoon to hang out and take a look at some projects I need help with around the house. 

You told him you were going to go to your room and bring out a book. Down the hall you ent and when you returned you had a bag full of books. 

And wouldn't you know it, he sat there and read every one of them with you. 


But you know kiddo, what I can't get out of my head is a comment you made while we were all settling in for the night. 

I had just put Arlee to bed and you were sitting with mom, wrapped in dot blanket, on the recliner. 

You looked as though you were going to close your eyes at any moment and call it a day. 

Quietly, with a little defeat in your soft voice you said "I hate myself." 

Whoa, what? 

"I hate myself" you repeated. 

Mom and I were instantly concerned. She gave you a big hug and asked why you would say that? 

I didn't quite catch your response but I think it had something to do with when you get into trouble. 

"I'm sad because I hate myself when ..." and I missed the rest. 

This is one that mom and I need to stop right away. There's going to be times of doubt in your life, we all go through it, but don't ever hate yourself! 

You've been acting out a bit lately, taking toys from your sister when she's playing with them, not listening. But, you're three and we expect that. It's natural. 

It's our job to make sure we raise you properly and that you continue to grow into the beautiful girl that you are! 

In order to do so, we need to discipline you at times. We don't enjoy it. We'll both be the first to tell you that. 

Rest assured knowing that we love you and would do anything for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment