Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Today Ava went from student to teacher

Could a career in education be in your future? 

Mom and I were having a bit of a text conversation this morning and she sent me a video of you singing one of your favorite tunes "Alligator, alligator in the swamp. Alligator, alligator chomp chomp chomp" over and over and over again while sitting on the potty. 

I commented on how much you love the song. It's one in which you and mom made up the other day. 

Mom replied "An angry teacher, though." 

Watch this, you'll see what I mean. 



I couldn't help but laugh.

You've inherited a lot of great qualities from your mother and me. Though this one may come back to haunt you someday ... you're father's patience. Or lack there of. 

It's no secret. I'm not patient.

One other point that I'd like to touch on is your separation axiety. 

I commented yesterday on your struggles at dance class and when I walked in the door this afternoon you were cradled in mom's arms on the living room floor crying about going to swim lessons. 

All of our sweet talking was falling on deaf ears. You seemed to come around a little bit as mom and Arlee were in the poor for her lesson, but that all changed when it was time for you to go into the pool area by yourself. 

Mom and AJ went to change and I stayed wth you in the stands until your teacher, Joyce, called the students down. 

You began to sob saying "I'm not ready. I'm not ready dad." 

I tried to explain that it's okay and pointed to the window's to the observation area where mom and I would be watching. 

The tears began to flow as you walked down the step and Joyce took your hand. Thankfully she has a great personality and is very good with the kids. 

I met mom upstairs and told her about the exchange. We both were concerned about how the lesson would go. Last week you were a total dead fish, not participating at all. 

We noticed that today was different. You were engaged, willing to participate. 

When class ended and they paraded the students across the big pool to waiting parents, you were leading the class with a beaming smile on your face. 

Did we have a breakthrough? We'll know next week, but on the drive to grab a bite to eat all you talked about was how much fun you had. Phew!

In a cute moment this evening, you fell asleep with mom and Miggy Migs curled up right beside you. 



A rare moment of peace for the kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment