Thursday, December 19, 2013

Today Ava Rode The Escalator Pt. 2

I have to write about the escalator one more time, I just can't help it. 

I feel that in your mind, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. If only you knew what sliced bread is ... 

We were back to the mall this evening in an attempt to finalize Christmas shopping. I'm all but done with what I need and in an effort to up mom's efficiency you and I headed to the Sears escalator while mom shopped around the store. 

You're going to be shocked, but I have no photos or videos to show your excitement but not to worry, everything is permanently stored on the memory card that is my brain. 

We had to ride up then down at least a half-dozen times before my back couldn't handle bending over on the way down any longer. Yes, my age is showing ... 

Here's how we rode ... On the way up I would set you on the step in front of me to give a little extra height and hold on to your hands. I couldn't let go not only because I didn't want you to get hurt but in the back of my mind I felt I was already being judged for letting you "play" on an escalator. trust me, you were 100% safe under my watch. 

Also, you're uncontrollable stomping and giggling as we ascended didn't allow me to opportunity to let go. Your excitement got the best of you. As we neared the top I would slowly count "One, two ..." and when I got to three I'd lift you up as the stairs disappeared underneath the floor. 

It didn't take long for you to catch on and anticipate the count. You'd bend your knees, squat down and actually help me by popping up and jumping when I got to three. 

When we got to the top it was all but a run to the other side to head back down. Much like the movie "Dodgeball" people were dipping, ducking and dodging you as you made your way to the other side. 

For the way down I'd place you on the same step as me holding on to your little hands. The same excitement you showed on the way up translated to the way down. As we neared the bottom my count began again "Are you ready? One ... two ...." and on three you jumped as I picked you up and your legs were kicking the air as you laughed until your feet hit the ground again. 

What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment