Monday, December 2, 2013

Today Ava Used Her Words

I struggled with the subject of this post a little this evening. With each passing day it's becoming increasingly difficult to pick out one singular moment to commit to this journal. 

The subject line easily could have been "Today Ava Fed Dad Breakfast." 

Thinking I would be the one feeding you, I had a large salad fork to cut your waffle and feed it to you. In typical Ava fashion, you wanted to feed yourself. I should have known better. 

As soon as you decided you were full (or tired of) your waffle you turned the tables and tried to put the next bite in my mouth. You succeeded on the second attempt.



Or, the subject line could have read something like "Today Ava Fed The Cats."

While we were waiting for mom tonight (she had a few houses to show) you picked up McGee's food dish and attempted to give him the empty bowl underneath the Christmas tree. He was interested, that is, until he realized there was nothing on it for him to eat. 

Mom later commented on why the dish was under the tree. After I explained the story she said "I bet she'd love feeding the cats treats." 

Great idea! Glad I thought of it. 

While mom finished dinner I grabbed a packet of the treats we bought yesterday and handed a few to you. You really got a kick out of feeding them. 

Don't mind the clutter in this video. We're still getting our Christmas decor put away. 


A third option for the subject could have been "Today Ava Waited For Santa." 

I fed you prior to mom getting home so you weren't sitting at the table with us for dinner. You were keeping yourself occupied by running around and playing with your toys. 

At one point, I looked to my right to see you on your tip toes spreading the blinds apart for a good look outside. 

Not satisfied with that view you went to the window behind me. 


For whatever reason seeing you peer into the darkness made me think you were looking for Santa and his reindeer to come streaking across the sky with all the presents you anticipate him bringing.

And finally, here's why I chose the subject line I did. 

Everyday is an adventure that we look forward too. What is she going to say or do today? There has been a report from Marissa that you said "please" on one occasion at her house and today she told me you said "Andrew." 

You're picking up and absorbing the vocabulary at a rapid pace. Some evenings I try and run through in my head what words you know and understand and I know I fall short of them all. 

Tonight as we were getting you ready for bed mom said "Are you ready to go night night?" To which you responded with an audible "Night night!" 



We asked you a few more times and it's clear you were saying "night night" and that's what you want to say. 


Keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment