Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Today Ave Got In The Huddle

Each morning after I get up I step into your room to check on you. Most mornings I unplug the vaporizer and put a blanket over you. 

This morning I continued my routine as normal but failed to realize that your arm was entangled in the blanket (or as you would call it - towel). When I tried to lift it from your side to place back over you, it tugged at your arm and woke you up.

6:30 a.m. is an early start to the day.

Why dive into this if we're obviously going to be talking about basketball? 

Because it sets in motion the events leading up to your assistant coaching duties. 

Shortly after I left for work you and mom were out the door as well. She needed to stop into the office this morning to take care of some business and since it wasn't a day for you to be at the sitter, you went with her. 

The office was having their bi-weekly team meetings and mom was invited to sit in. I mention this as well because she was hesitant having you with her if she should sit in on it. the owner of the company assured her it would be okay so you both went in. And from what I hear you were quite the ham for attention. 

Mom told me that at one point you slapped the owner of the company on the thigh and when mom scolded you, you went back over and rubbed her leg to make amends.  

She also relayed to me that when introduced to the agents in attendance that you stood, waved and blew kisses and repeated the gesture to everyone in the room. 

You commanded the crowd from what I hear. 

Post-meeting mom said you were asleep before your bucket was in the car seat - which is why I mentioned you being up so early this morning. It's all circling back now.

As I was stepping into a meeting at 2:00 p.m. this afternoon my phone vibrated and looking down I saw a text from your mom. "She's still out."

It was over an hour later before I was able to respond. "Safe to assume she's up now?" 

Though she commented that she had to wake you up in order to leave for practice, I received this photo as proof of your alertness.



Quite frankly I lost track of time and didn't realize it was as late in the afternoon. So a photo from practice caught me a little off guard at first. You look like a veteran coach ... at 16 months old. 


Later in the evening as mom and I were talking abut our days the photo came up in conversation and she exclaimed "I never showed you the others. You've got to see these."

She pulled up the photos on her phone and I scrolled through about a half dozen or more images of you at practice; observing from the bench and even in the middle of the huddle. 



Mom told me that when Jessie is addressing the team, you'll get right in the middle and stare at her, listening closely. 

I've said it before, but if I haven't committed it to paper yet, I'll do it right now. Coaching is in your blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment