Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Today Ava Was a Bookworm

Growing up, I always enjoyed reading, starting with the Berenstain Bears and Curious George then moving on to the Hardy Boys and eventually non fiction related to World War II aviation history. Yes, your father is a history geek. And you have a very special person to thank for that. If I haven't done so already, ask me to tell you about him.


Let's read, Dad.
Since your birth I had hoped you would feel the same about reading. Early on I felt guilty because we didn't read to you like we should have. Sometimes your attention span -or lack thereof - wouldn't allow us to read to you, most of the time it simply boiled down to me not doing it.

A lesson I learned as soon as I became a parent was to make time. It won't be long and well be going from me writing this post about you enjoying your picture books to us sitting down and reading this post reflecting on today. Long story short, time goes by way to quickly. 

Over the last week or so its excited me to see that your gravitating towards your books and want us to read them to you. It can get to be a broken record, reading the same book over and over, but if that makes you happy, then I'll read it as many times as you want. 

Today, as soon as you woke up, I set you on the floor and you crawled right over to your books, pulling them all off the shelf underneath the coffee table. You spread them out as though you were sorting them in order of preference. 

Before I left for work this morning you sat up right in front of me and pulled a book out. I could only assume you wanted me to read it to you. 

So, before I headed out the door we read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment