Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Today Ava Was Not Herself

It wasn't just today, honestly. You've been off for nearly a week now. Not the typically happy, bubbly Ava we've come to know over the past eight months. Something is bothering you.

Ready for this weather to break
so we can cruise!
Your mom and I just wish we knew what exactly it is.

You seem happy when you're home with us but reports from Marissa tell us otherwise. She's been saying your cranky and needy during the day. Are you becoming more aware that we're your parents and there's some separation anxiety? As flattering as that thought is, I pray it isn't the case. Marissa takes great care of you and she enjoys having you there during the day.

So what could it be? I've consulted many of my parent friends to get their ideas and scoured the internet for answers. This is where you being the first child is a disadvantage, we are unsure of what could be bugging you.

Here's a rundown of what might be possibilities:

Pearly whites? You insist on chewing on anything and everything that is near your mouth or within reach.  Even when you finish bottles you'll chew on the nipple for a bit.

Ear infection? You'll tug at your ear while taking a bottle, or when tired. I chalk it up to sleepiness or not knowing what to do with your hands while eating. You even play with my ears from time to time.

Sleepy? We're being told you don't sleep much throughout the day - an hour tops while at the sitter. And you refuse naps at home. You've been staying up later, no matter how hard we try we can't get you to sleep until 9:45 p.m. Tonight, it was 9:50 when you finally simply gave up. Without warning you laid your head on your moms shoulder and it was lights out. 

The sleep doesn't last long at night. The past few days you'll wake up (4:40 and 2:15 a.m. respectively) and take a bottle. Once the bottle is gone and I think you're back out for the night I'll lay you in the crib and you immediately begin to scream. It isn't until I pick you up that you'll instantly lay your head on my shoulder and be back out. You won't sleep until you're laying on my chest. Most of the time at an incline. Such was the case tonight. Your mom and I were exhausted so we brought you into our room and set you between us with a bottle. The moment the milk ran dry you began to wail. I placed you on my chest at an incline and you were out again. We laid there for nearly a half hour before I was took a chance and put you back in your crib where you went back to sleep.

Acid Reflux? I consulted a friend about the sleep issue and he suggested acid reflux as a potential cause. Said that sometimes if infants lay flat when taking a bottle they can get reflux which would explain the discomfort following the bottles. 

What's difficult for us is that you cannot communicate what is bothering you. We're trying to keep you comfortable and our happy little Grav-O.

Hopefully it's simply a phase as you grow and it'll end soon. If it continues, we'll head to the doctor to make sure it isn't serious.

Sleep tight kiddo. You need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment