Friday, February 8, 2013

Today Ava Celebrated

"Don't blink. Today she's being born, before you know she'll be 18 and going to prom. Enjoy every minute of it." These words were spoken to me by my boss a few short days after you were born. How prophetic those words have become. 

I hope you don't mind, I have a feeling this entry may get a little long. 

It's amazing to think that today you celebrated your half-birthday. Your six months old. I want to use this entry to share a few things that you've unknowingly taught me. 

You've taught me patience. On more than one occasion over the past 31 years I've heard "You need patience." or "Patience is a virtue." even "Patience isn't your middle name." All of which are true. When I want something, I want it now, or if I want to do something, I want it done immediately. 

Ask your mom, I know for a fact I've frustrated her on more than one occasion due to my lack of patience.

Since you've been born, I've learned to be patient with your cries, patient with your tears, to look for that smile. It will come. In previous entries I've talked about living in the moment and how much I enjoy rocking you to sleep. The old Matt, the Matt before Ava would never have understood how wonderful those moments could and would be. I wish everyone could experience just one of these moments. I'm fortunate to have experienced as many as I have with you.

You've taught me to love in a way I didn't know possible. Without question I love your mother with all my heart. I forever will. 

The love I am speaking of is something different, something I didn't know existed until you blessed me with being your father. Something I didn't realize I was capable of. 
Photo posted to Facebook by Marissa.
Do we need more fiber in your diet?

I find myself  looking at pictures of you while at work, smiling to myself and looking forward to seeing you when I get home, the moment you see me come around the corner in the basement.

There's nothing I wouldn't do for you and this family. I promise you as long as I am walking this Earth that I will keep you safe from whatever worries you, whether it be monsters under your bed or being mistreated in any way.  

I ramble, but I mean every word of it. 

This morning, your mom sent me a text saying that Marissa and her daughters Laney and Liv surprised you with a  "Birthday Party." They had balloons and party hats ready for when you arrived. 

I was honestly dissapointed that I was already at work and missed out. I asked her to send me pictures if she received any. Marissa posted some to Facebook as well as a video of Laney and Liv singing Happy Birthday to you. It was adorable. 

Every month since you've been born, your mom and I have held a photo shoot in the basement to document the occasion. I was obviously a naive rookie father when you were born, thinking that as you get older, the photos would be easier. 

I couldn't have been more wrong. 

As you've gained more control of yourself it's become harder and harder to keep you content and still for the photos. Today, you weren't having it. 

We try two different poses to chart your growth. One is just of you lying on a crocheted blanket that has white and purple zigzags. It was created and given to you by your great grandmother Kempf. 

The other, we place you into a wicker basket with purple blanket

We had no problems with the blanket pose, you were happy as usual. Things quickly changed as we tried the basket. When you've had enough, you've had enough.


See? You were far from happy, but the photo above makes me smile. 

Speaking of photos, Most of my favorites from your first six months can be found here. But I will end this post by showing how you've grown in your first six months.








As a father, I feel it is my duty to make sure you are healthy and smart, but thank you for the love and patience you have taught me and I can't wait to see what I'll learn from you in the next six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment