Saturday, February 23, 2013

Today Ava Got a Fat Lip

Today I could write about how you were awake and happy with us at breakfast (usually you're sound asleep), or how you were so talkative all day - I swear I heard you say "Da Da." Or I could write about how we could have been at the gym all night - everyone loved you, the concession stand ladies, Lydia's mom, random people, and coach. 

But no, what takes the cake today is your face.

Dad of the year, right here.
It happened as your mom and I were finishing up dinner. You, content on your play mat, rolled onto your stomach. From my vantage point all i saw was two arms steetch around the corner then your smiling face came around as if to say "I'm here!" 

I came over snatched you up and set you on the counter. Your mom was sitting on the opposite side chatting with me pushing some food around her plate she wasn't going to eat when it happened. Cue the music "Dun dun dun."

I stood directly behind you with my arms around either side in the case that you would fall, I would catch you. I started tapping my hands quickly around you on the counter top and you kept following, giggling as you tried to catch my hands with yours.

I had three of four sides covered and as my hands came to the front, you came crashing forward. In an attempt to catch my hands, you lost your balance and fell forward with a thud. Smashing your face on the counter. And with that, the damage was done, you're first fat lip. 

I'll gladly accept my "Father of the Year Award" now. 

I wrapped you in my arms and began to apologize. It took a second for you to realize what happened and when you did, you let out a wale! Crying so hard you had to stop to catch your breath. You're mom and I both felt terrible and we tried to put an ice pack on it, tried to get you to chew a frozen teether, whatever we culd do to help.

A few minutes and a few tears and you were back to normal. Your lip is a little swollen and I sure hope it goes down before Church tomorrow!

Sleep well, I owe it to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment