Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Today Ava Had It Rough

Well, Gravy, it wasn't so smooth today. What did I take from today? That your teeth need to pop through, soon.

Our day actually began late last night, around 11:45 p.m. and escalated from there. I heard you begin to stir through the monitor an hope you would go back to sleep. No such luck. I got up and went to your crib, thinking you just needed a bottle I picked you up. You immediatley put your head on my shoulder and went back to sleep. 

We rocked for a few minutes until I thought you were good and asleep. My way of checking - I lift your arm and if it drops back to my chest without resistance, you're out. If you resist, even slightly, I know you aren't quite out. Thinking you were good and asleep, I laid you back down in your crib. Almost as soon as your head came to a rest you began to cry. 

I picked you back up and like before, your head hit my shoulder and out you went. After a few more minutes of rocking, I tried again. Same result. 

We've gone through this pattern with you in the recent past, you don't want to be put down. Not sure if I should be flattered that you want me to hold you all night, or worried that I'm getting you into a pattern that may came back to bite me. I prefer the former. 

We went to the living room and you slept on my chest for a bit. I don't think it was a comfortable sleep as you kept trying to switch positions or turn your head. Needless to say, sleep was minimal for me. 

Somewhere in the1:00 - 2:00 a.m. hour you decided you were hungry. After the bottle, you went back to sleep on my chest again. 

This was the only ay I could get you
to sleep without being held.
One more attempt to put you in your crib ... same result. Off to the recliner we went. Back to seep on my chest you were. An hour or so went by and I needed to use the restroom. I debated for close to another hour if I wanted to risk putting you down. Would you cry? 

My need to use the bathroom won and I set you on the recliner. To my surprise you remained asleep. We went back to the couch and a little while later, I felt something warm on my belly. I felt around with my left hand and just assumed you were warm laying on me - a walking furnace - and a blanket over top of you. 

Just before 6:00 a.m. I noticed your diaper was full, I lifted you up and noticed that the warm sensation I felt wasn't nothing. You peed through your diaper and my T-shirt was soaked. 

I laid you down on the changing table and you smiled at me - as if to say "Haha I got ya!" 

We changed you and you decided now was a good time to wake up. For an hour we played and by now it was getting light out. You began yawning and showing signs of wanting to go back to bed. I rocked you in the nrsery glider for close to 30 minutes. One last time I thought I would try and lay you down in the crib. It worked this time! You remained out for a little nap. 

Thus was our morning. Hey, on the half-full side of things, we got to hang out for a good long time. Father/Daughter bonding. 

We've been attributing the oddities of your sleep cycle and discomfort to your teeth and gums. Hopefully we're right and when they break the surface, you'll get back to normal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment