Friday, February 1, 2013

Today Ava is Gravy

I didn't get to spend much time with you today, Ava. You slept in, stirring shortly before I had to leave for work. Due to the impending Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2013 announcement, I worked a little late today. When I got home, you and your mom greeted me at the stairs like you traditionally do, but you soon grew tired and fell asleep with your mother on the couch.
So, I take this opportunity to reflect on a memory or two from the first 173 days of your young life; prior to when I was not jotting notes in this journal.

It's funny, since I've started this, I've spent the day looking for observations to write down, little things from the day that I don't want to forget. After you fell asleep I spent the evening thinking of what I wanted to put into words.

As I type, I'm still uncertain of where I am going with this entry. Keep reading, I promise it will get better.

The original subject of this entry was “Today We Reflect,” well, I just changed that because I decided what I want you to know about.

A pet name your mom and I call you is “Gravy.” How did this come about? Well, not long after you were born, a few days to a week or so, you would sleep for long periods of time at night (your schedule was like clock work, Midnight, 3 a.m., then again somewhere between 6-7 a.m.), you let us know when you were hungry, etc. Rarely did you scream or cry (you're four-hour fit will be another entry). We jokingly said one day that you ”were like gravy,” it's just that easy with you. Hence, the nickname. Ever since we've called you Gravy or for fun “Avy Gravy” or even “Wavy Gravy.”

Even in text and email conversations we'll refer to you as Gravy. I'll text your mom “Was Gravy good for you this morning?” or something of the sort.

At times, I'll smile to myself and picture the back of one of your sports tee shirts or school hoody saying “Gravy” above your number.

No comments:

Post a Comment