Thursday, February 20, 2014

Today Ava Hated Her Crib

Our bad habit has reached whole new levels. 

We used to be able to put you to bed in your crib at night without issue. then, you came down with a cold and we began to lay with you to help ease you to sleep. Laying down with you continued once you felt better - for selfish reasons honestly. Frankly we enjoy spending even those extra few minutes with you as you fall asleep. 

Like a fish needs water, you need us to fall asleep. It's a bit of a struggle as we try to figure out how to break you of this dependency. 

You're too young for a toddler bed yet and we're concerned you're afraid of your crib. 

You refused a nap this afternoon with mom until she used your crib as leverage. She told you if you don't lay down and take a nap now, she would put you in your crib. Walking into your room you clutched her for dear life. She offered you one more chance and you were out within minutes. 



It gets even worse at night. 

I asked you this evening if you were ready to go to sleep and you replied with "room." and began to gather your blanket. 

I said "No, crib" and immediately you became uneasy and almost with a whine replied "room. room."

You gave mom a kiss and a squeeze goodnight and as we walked down the hall towards your room I could feel you become more and more tense. You leaned for our room as I walked straight into yours. 

"Room! Room!" with a point towards our bedroom. 

Before I could try to lay you down in your crib you clutched my shirt and laid your head down on my shoulder. We rocked for a few minutes, I sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star then I attempted to lay you down. 

You almost literally crawled up over my shoulder and down my back to avoid your crib. We laid down in our room and you were quickly fast asleep.

Mom came in a few minutes past 11:00 p.m. ready for bed herself. Looks like I fell asleep with you.

I just wish I knew what was causing your fear. Is it a separation anxiety? 

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because I know the day is fast approaching when you'll be independent and not need us.

No comments:

Post a Comment