Monday, February 3, 2014

Today Ava Sang To Us

This subject line may sound familiar, we've used it before. But tonight I deemed it necessary again as I heard the sweetest three words to hit these old ears. 

We got home late, around 9:00 p.m. from mom's basketball game and leaving her car at the mechanic for the morning (keep your fingers crossed it's nothing expensive). 

After a quick gut bomb from McDonald's we all settled in. Mom was cleaning up a few dishes when I heard your little voice softly start singing. I listened for a second and didn't think much of it. You love to sing, never any words just mumbles that you put together. Or so I thought. 

With mom's job as a real estate agent she has the good fortune to spend more time with you during the week than I do so she picks up more of what your learning to say. 

The singing that I cast aside as gibberish was actually words tonight. You picked up on a song we always sing to you.

To soothe you when your tired or when we're trying to get you to sleep for the night mom and I both softly sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to you. Mom is exceptionally good in the fact that she'll let you finish lines. "Twinkle Twinkle Little _______" and you'll gently chime in "Star" with a grin on your face. 

And you've begun singing the song back to us. 

Mom, finished with her dishes, heard the singing and came into the living room. She noticed that I was not picking up on the words and quickly told me you were saying "Above world high."

I listened a little more closely ... spot on. 

The lineage of singers in your family isn't strong. At least on my side. Just ask your Grandpa Waechter. "Would the following students please report to study hall instead of choir ... Bernie Waechter. That is all." (Sorry, dad). 

Need further proof, jut ask your mom about my lyrical genius when songs come on the radio. 

From what I heard this evening, the mold may be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment