Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Today Ava Was Patriotic

We go to a lot of basketballs games and sometimes it's a bit of a struggle to keep you quiet for the National Anthem. If I get the feeling that you won't be quiet or cooperative we'll strategically leave the gym, or keep you occupied with a toy. 

If there's two things mom and I can teach you in life it would be to love God and your country. Well, you got the latter tonight and hopefully the former will follow. 

When everyone in the gym stands the first hting I do is pick you up and face the flag. I then place your right hand over your heart. It never stays put, you're too young to understand yet and I get that. 

Well tonight mom had her final regular season game at Sandy Valley and when the recording began I picked you up and placed your right hand over your heart. I was astonished when you left it there and kept your eyes fixed on the flag at center court. 

I was even more surprised when you left it there until the conclusion of the song. Maybe you were tired, maybe you say me doing the same ... but, I was proud nonetheless. 

It was a small moment, but one that really stuck with me tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment