Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Today Ava Was Exhausted

"We're dealing with a child who didn't nap today." Mom told me as she was driving home. 

Oh boy, we both know what that means - a moody kid who we have to fight to keep awake until bed time so she doesn't nap too long before bed. 

It's a fine line. 

When I win the race to the house and I hear the garage door go up, I always come down to help mom unload you and whatever she has with her. 

Instead of "Daddy!" I was greeted with a blank stare and a warning of "Don't disturb it!" 

"It" ... that's the term we use when we fear "Gravy Bear" is going to make an appearance or sometimes we use the word in an endearing term. "It's awake!" or "Here it comes" if you're bounding down the hallway. 

I eased you out of your car seat and you were asleep on my shoulder before the door to the car was shut behind us. 

We figured a short nap would be fine and it would allow us the chance to put a finishing coat of paint on Baby Sister's room. 

When we were done with our chores and the pizza was out of the oven mom attempted to wake the Gravy Bear from it's hibernation. 

No go. 

It was basically a change of positions for you. 


You lifted your head once or twice and that was about it. 

I ate my dinner one handed while you sat with me as we rested against the recliner. 

Mom was able to coax you out of your slumber long enough to help her feed the cats and eventually build a puzzles.



Speaking of your puzzles, I must add that while we were working on Olaf here, mom told me that earlier today you built one of the puzzles all by yourself. 

That's quite an accomplishment!!! I'm so proud! 

She said you didn't ask for help, never said "I can't do it" (which is another point I want to make) and put the whole thing together without her. 

"I can't do it." We've been hearing this little phrase out of your mouth a bit lately - mostly with the puzzles. That phrase is a dirty word to us. There's nothing you can't do and we remind you of that every time you say it. 

You might just need some help but never give up without asking us. You can do anything!

It wasn't long before your batteries ran out and we debated as to whether or not it was time to lay you down for the night.. 

Just after 8:00 p.m. I tried to place you in your bed and you magically woke back up and cried for the "big chair." 

Back to the recliner we went. 

A few hours later and I was certain you were out cold. I tried to lay you in your bed again and again I failed. 

Our room? 

Nope. 

"I want big chair!" you sobbed. 

Okay, back to big chair we went ... until 12:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment