Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Today Ava Wouldn't Let Me Go

It was a bit of a whirlwind evening for us. Mom had basketball and you and I needed to take our movies back and pick up some cat food. 

You were exhausted. No nap again today and it showed as I did my bes tto get you out of the house. Even bribing you with cake pops. Eventually I was able to get you out of the house and we hit the road for the video store. 

Our plans derailed moments after we left the driveway. Keith called and asked if we could swing by his house to pick up our portion of the beef we ordered. 

It was sprung on him tonight and he didn't have room in his freezer for all of it. So, we dropped our movies off and headed to Keith's house.

You fell asleep minutes from Keith's. This was a concern for me for two reasons ... 

1. You were wearing big girl unnies. Being as tired as you were you refused to go potty before we left or put a pullup on. 

2. You screamed "I peed!" right before you fell asleep. I was relieved (pun intended) when we got to Keith's and I picked you up and you were still dry. I wasn't out of the woods yet, though. We still had to divide the beef and get home before you peed. 

Mom came down to get you when we got home and thankfully you were still dry. She struggled to get you into a diaper and jammies (tell mom and baby sister you're sorry when you read this.) Mom will tell you why you owe them an apology young lady! 

With the meat in the put away in the garage freezer I came upstairs to find you curled in mom's arms in the "big chair." 

You reached for me and we went back to the bedroom to lay down and let you fall back to sleep. 

After a few minutes I did my drop test - picking up your arm and letting it go. If there's any sort of resistence I know you're not in deep enough sleep to transfer you to your bed. 

Your arm easily dropped back to my chest. Out cold. 

I laid you down in your bed and went to get my arm out from under you when you tightened your grip and asked to be held. 



Get me a Snickers, I'm not going anywhere for a while ... 

You're eyes closed and I felt your body relax. Back out! I can go now. 

Trying to slide my am out from under you and you squeezed again. 

It's uncanny how you can be sound asleep like this yet know when I'm trying to escape. 



I texted mom and said "I'm in a little bit of a predicament here ..." 

I was finally able to release myself from your clutches and snuck out of your room Ninja Style. 

Well, as Ninja Style as a balding, 33 year-old 240 LB. man can. 

So probably not quietly at all but it worked. I got out and was able to finish taking the trash out and ran to Walmart to get the cat food. 

Let's hope you sleep through the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment