Sunday, June 16, 2013

Today Ava Played With Her Ball

It was like you reconnected with an old friend. 

You must have been exhausted from the ride home because you slept in until ten after eight this morning. Unprecedented.

But once you woke up and I brought you to the living room, your eye caught a glimpse of something you haven't seen in more than a week ... your big green rubber ball. 

Father's Day breakfast.
You practically ran (crawled) over to it and lit up like a Christmas tree, excitedly patting it, raising it above your head and grinning ear to ear as you did so. 

I took the ball from you - don't worry, I was nice about it - took a few steps back and rolled it to you. Side note: I hope your offense skills are as good as your defensive skills on the softball diamond. 

I swear for a kid your age you have excellent hand-eye coordination. Nothing got by you and you watched the ball in every time I rolled it. It didn't matter if it was to the left, down the middle, or off to the right - you snagged it every time.

Mom woke up shorty after you and surprised me with a few Father's Day gifts. She handed me one of your artistic master pieces - a finger painting with the word "Dad" in the middle and a beautiful three-photo frame with images of you in the backyard with white wooden letters spelling out "D - A - D." I'm sure you've seen it by now, as I will never get rid of that. 

No matter where we end up in this life, it will always be with me. My first true Father's Day, how could I not? 

We then went to breakfast at the Sunrise Cafe right down the street. What a great morning. 

After a nice relaxing day and dinner in Wooster - Aunt Casey left her debit card with us by mistake - it was back home. 

Your day ended much how it began  by playing with your green ball. You played for a good while with mom and I before you finally grew tired. 

My first Father's Day was truly a memorable one.

Thanks Mom and Ava!

No comments:

Post a Comment