Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Today Ava Saw Warbirds

I've grown up around vintage aviation. You can thank your Great Grandpa Kessler for that one. So when I saw that a few warbirds would be in the area, I jumped on the chance to take you and mom to see them. 
Future pilot?

The Commemorative Air Force brought their Twin Beech, SNJ-4, P-51 Mustang, and FIFI the last flying B-29 in the world to Akron-Fulton International Airport. At a cost of $10,000 an hour to fly FIFI, who knows if these classics will still be in the air when you're older. 

I'm not sure what you enjoyed more, putting your feet on the pavement and walking (assisted of course) or the look and sound of something new. You instantly looked skyward once the sweet sound of a radial engine hit your ears and the SNJ-4 flew past.

We also took you on the cockpit tour of FIFI. How many 10-month-olds can claim that? 

Your Great Grandpa Kessler would take your Uncles and I to the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio at least once a year for as long as I could remember. It was a trip we always looked forward to. It's also where we got our passion for history and why your Uncles followed their dreams. 

I hope this was the first of many history lessons I can give you in your lifetime and that you'll grow to appreciate those that came before us. You don't have to immerse yourself in it like I did, but please appreciate all the trips to museums that we've taken by the time you read this.

A few photos from your first warbird experience: 


The SNJ-4 flying past.

Family portrait in front of FIFI.

Checking out the 1930s Sterman.

Walking towards history.

Remind me to tell you about how your
Great Grandpa could have had one of these.
I'm telling you in this photo, but I doubt you'll remember.

A wide look at FIFI.




No comments:

Post a Comment