Sunday, July 21, 2013

Today Ava Was Pretty In Pink

I came home from work tonight to find out that you and mom had matching pink toenails.

Tootsie pops
And I thought the adjustment of having a girl was getting the knack of buying your clothes. Once I conquered that I thought it would be smooth sailing. 

First a tea party, now this? My comfort zone is turned on its head once again.

I'm not saying it isn't cute, sometimes I lose sight of the fact that we're raising a little girl. You must understand, all I know is Legos, Tonka trucks and playing in dirt. 

So the last two days have snapped me back to reality. I've learned two things: 

1. You're growing up. Way too fast I might ad. 

2. Your allowed. No matter how big you get, and how much I'll need to adjust - you'll always be my "little girl."

See, the girly-est thing I've ever done in my nearly 32 years on this earth is paint your moms toe nails. And it wasn't very long ago that this happened. She was pregnant with you and could no longer reach her feet.

One thing you need to know about me ... I hate feet so it was quite an accomplishment for me and if it made mom feel better about herself, then it made me feel good too.

Stealing mom's ice cream.
At this stage in your life your I'm okay with your feet. As Uncle Shawn would say "they are still pure." You squirm and giggle when I rub my beard along the soles of your feet or pretend I'm eating your toes. 

For as little as your feet are, mom said it was quite the daunting task to get your toes all dolled up. Knowing how much of a busy body you are, I can understand.

As I write this I wonder what other aspects of raising a girl I'll need to get used to? 

1. Boyfriends. I was young once and know how they think. Advantage: me. I'll know how to scare the bejesus out of them if they try and date you. I have GREAT aim.

2. Pony tails and braids. Luckily I'll be able to adjust slowly and read up on this one as your hair isn't growing very fast. Advantage: still you. I've never had long hair so this'll be a tough one.

3. Clothes. Baby clothes were an adjustment. Teenage girl clothes are going to be an absolute nightmare. I see too many young girls at the mall looking like they are going clubbing. Advantage: you and mom. I can't handle an "ini" on vacation, I'm sure I'll hate the fashion trends but it'll be two against one. 

4. Fast talking. Teenage girls talk fast. Like too many OMGs and like this and like that and like it's all too much and like I'll need like the new Rosetta Stone "Teen Girl" addition. My head may just start smoking and explode.

Those are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure more will come but I am looking forward too it!

On a side note - tomorrow is Uncle Joe's birthday. We tried to get a pic of you holding a sign that read "Happy Birthday Uncle Joe!" but you didn't cooperate. Watch:



No comments:

Post a Comment