Sunday, March 2, 2014

Today Ava Was A Daredevil

It was a daddy-daughter afternoon - for a few hours - as mom worked an open house. 

Following a nap and some time playing downstairs, we made our way back up to the living room where you headed right for your slide. 

I guess we weren't done playing yet. 

You climbed the steps to the top as I at sat the bottom ready to catch you. 

The way you slide is an interesting one. Once you're at the top of the three steps, you'll straddle the slide and the steps before swinging your left leg through to a seated position. 

Today, though, you had a little daredevil in you. Rather than sliding how I mention above you basically stood on the top. You didn't let go of the side rails so you were more bent over at the waist, but this stance was atypical for you.





Unsure of what you would do I said "Ava, on your bucket!" and you literally kicked your legs out and fell to the seat of your pants and happily slid down to me. 

After a few trips like this mom called to let me know she was on her way home. We were talking about how long you napped when I looked over at the clock to see what time it was. 

I turned back to you just in time to see you ski down the slide. 

Yeah, you stayed on your feet almost the whole way down. I reached out as you lost your balance and began to topple to your left. My hand caught your chest and I gently laid you down to the floor. You loved it and ran back up to the slide! 

No fear whatsoever. 

Gymnastics might be in order soon. I think you'll enjoy tumbling jumping around. 

This video is from later in the evening but shows what I describe above:


Mom and I talked about this tonight and we understand that your testing your boundaries. Seeing what you can do and what we'll let you get away with. 

We'll do our best not to let you get hurt on our watch, but we understand that in order to find your limits you might get a few bumps and bruises along the way. We expect it. 

Just do us a favor and remain fearless! It'll take you places. 

One other thing that I want to make a note of - and bear with me as I try and figure out how to put my thought into words - is that you're beginning to laugh at things not because we're tickling you, or you see us laughing and think it's what you need to do. You're beginning to understand things and laugh because you genuinely think it's funny. 

For instance, this evening as we prepared dinner you were sitting on the couch watching Mickey on the iPad. Mom and I heard a laugh come from the living room and when we peered around the wall you were sitting there with a grin as you watched. 

In silently observing you for a few minutes we noticed grins and other facial reactions to the cartoon. It's awesome to see.

Another example would be from after dinner. At your request we went back downstairs. After playing for a bit you suddenly came over to where I was seated and tried to push me over. I fell to the floor and started to laugh about it and you did too. Again, you didn't laugh because I was, this laugh was different. You were laughing because you thought it was funny that I fell over when you pushed me. 

You went back and forth pushing mom and I over and just getting a kick out of it the whole time.

It was fun, but I hope you understand the difference between us playing and seriously knocking someone over. I don't want you going to Marissa's tomorrow and knocking one of the other kids over thinking you're playing and someone get hurt. 

Hopefully we don't get that report tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment