Monday, September 23, 2013

Today Ava Tried to Tell Us What She Wanted

When you woke up I was unsure of how the day would play out. You were fussy and not much seemed to please you. 

When you want something you know to point in it's direction and like a game of "Hot, Cold" we'll eventually narrow it down to what you want. Such was the case this morning with your bottle of milk. Since nothing could please you took me a few minutes longer to solve the riddle of what you wanted but once I found the milk, all was well in your life. 

You were just thirsty. 

You mood got better as the day went one, mom tried one of your winter hats on - a pink cat that comes down over your ears with little pom poms on the end. I'm a sucker for hats and it was adorable. 

Anyway, back to my point of this entry. 

After you excitedly greeted me at the top step it was off to the books. While mom and I decided on dinner you and I read. 

We went through the dozen small books, then close to a dozen more out of your library. You must have been a book worm ALL day because mom showed me a video of you "reading" to yourself this morning. Opening the book, mumbling some inaudible words that made sense to only you, and repeating the process with each turn of the page. 

Sweeping is one of my fav after-dinner activities!
All of this talking and pointing today leads me to this. As we were enjoying dinner - homemade mac and cheese - from your high chair you began to point at something on the counter and intently "telling" us what you wanted. We asked you to tell us what you wanted and your frustration grew, not because you were angry, but because you were honestly trying to tell us exactly what it was you wanted and getting mad that you couldn't properly communicate it to us. 

Mom and I both commented on how we wish you could talk to us and tell us what it was. We felt guilty that we didn't understand. 

Here, I got this!
I'm have a difficult time putting this to words but this was a different kind of frustration. You knew exactly what it was you wanted, the pointing was more directed at something than in a general area, you looked at us when trying to say what it was you wanted then looked back at it. 

We tried - unsuccessfully - to give you a few items from the counter.

It was a whole new experience and really showed how your putting things together and the associations you're making in your mind. 



No comments:

Post a Comment