Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Today Ava Insisted On Holding My Hand

I'm a little confused by your actions. Should I feel warm and fuzzy, or concerned?

Yesterday mom had a class she needed to complete in order to continue coaching so you and I were home by ourselves. I couldn't get you to eat so I thought maybe you wanted a change of taste. We got your shoes on, punched your arms through the sleeves of your coat and down to the truck we went. 

I thought I would roll through the Arby's drive through for a kids meal. You thought otherwise. I couldn't for the life of me get you to sit in your car seat. You fought me like you've never fought me before. Screaming, crying, standing on the seat. After a minute or two I had no choice but to concede and back upstairs we went. 

So, if I recall this from yesterday, why am I jotting it down today? Because I thought it was a fluke and something was bothering you. Apparently I was wrong.

Mom had her first closing right after work today and I met her in the parking lot to pick you up. She handed you off, said goodbye and headed in the building. You and I headed for the truck. The truck .... either you suddenly have begun to hate the truck (I can see mom smiling if you're on her level on this), or there's something about me. 

I tried to set you into your seat and had the same result as last night. You arched your back, stiffened your legs, wrapped your arms around mine and began to cry. I wish I knew what was going on inside your little head. 

I didn't have the option of giving up like I did yesterday. Eventually I wore you down and got you strapped in. Being close to ACME I thought it would be nice of us to buy a congratulatory bottle of wine and some gummies (nearly 3 lbs. worth ... ). 

On the way out of the store we again had an issue getting you into the truck. This episode was worse than at the parking lot of the title company. 

I don't get it ...

Once you were finally buckled in we made our way home. I did everything I could think of to try and calm you down. Eventually I reached back and grasped your tiny hand. Instantly the water works stopped. 



This is all it took, my hand in yours, to calm you down.

It made me feel needed! 

I experimented a little by taking my hand away and it was like flipping a switch. You became uneasy and once I held your hand again; nothing but calm. 

I explained this to mom and she told me about how well behaved you were at basketball this afternoon and how good you were in general today. 



Once mom got home we got ready to grab a bite to eat. We decided on Thatsa Wrapp in downtown Canton. It's a little mom and pop sandwich shop that we had never been to. 

In an effort to show mom what I've been dealing with I took you to the truck and tried to load you in. Same exact results. 

She was floored. 

After dinner, as an experiment, I asked if she would load you into the truck. Not a peep out of you. 

Since August I haven't been able to put you down for the night. Now suddenly I am unable to do something as simple as put you into your car seat. 

What gives kiddo?

No comments:

Post a Comment