Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Today Ava Said "Juice" And Drew On The Chalkboard

Your Great Grandpa Kessler is smiling down on you tonight as you showed your artistic side. 

But before I get into that, I want to share a moment from this morning that caught me by surprise. You're learning a few words here and there but I didn't expect this one. 

I heard you stirring in your crib a little earlier than normal this morning and once you shook the sleep from your eyes I set you down in the kitchen and asked if you wanted some juice. Like you always do, you studied the movement of my lips and mouth so I wasn't surprised when you pursed your lips, but then you followed it up with "juice." I was stunned. 

I asked you what you wanted to drink and out of your mouth again came "juice." I hurriedly grabbed my phone and caught a few seconds on video. 

Watch:


I love it!

Since you were a baby mom and I had the idea of somehow incorporating a chalkboard into your "Creativity Corner" so you can draw and eventually learn to write. 

We thought about finding one online or at Goodwill, but that never came to fruition so we came up with another idea.

Our original concept was to buy a sheet of plywood, cut it in half, coat it with chalkboard paint, frame it and mount it to the wall. As time and ability were taken into account the idea evolved into painting the glass of a full-length mirror and mounting it. Then, we found simple wooden frames at Walmart and decided this was the route to go. 

With chalkboard paint and frame in hand, we drew out the area on the wall and painted two coats. Once dry, we screwed the frame to the wall around the paint and magically you had a chalk board to draw on! The frame serves as a great way to keep you "in the lines" and not get chalk on the rest of the wall. 

We were hopeful that you'd like it and judging by the chalk dust all over your hands and face when you were done - it was a success. 
 
The instructions on the chalkboard cautioned us to let it dry for three days - we couldn't even wait three minutes ... 

Soon you had chalk in hand and were putting lines all over your new toy. 

Mom and I watched as you would "draw" with a piece of chalk, quickly cast it aide for a new piece and repeat the process until your little heart was content. 

You had so much fun and I can't wait to play again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment