Thursday, May 29, 2014

Today Ava Busted Open Her Chin

"Can you take an early lunch and come home?" Mom asked. 

I glanced down to the clock. 11:46 a.m.

 "Sure, why? What's up?" I responded. 

"Ava fell and I need your opinion on whether or not she needs stitches." 

"On my way" I told her and began to close up shop. 

As soon as I hung up with mom she sent me the photo below. 



I showed it to my boss and and other co-worker both of whom said we should go to the hospital immediately. They both said if you need stitches to have it done ASAP to avoid scarring.

I called mom back and relayed the we need to take you to the emergency room right away. 

I hurried home to find you and mom both soaked in blood. The cut itself wasn't very big, maybe a centimeter wide, but underneath the chin it really bleeds.

I asked mom for more details of what happened as she changed her blood-soaked tee shirt. 

She explained that you two were outside playing corn hole in the driveway - a game you love to play. You were doing your thing of taking bags one-by-one and dropping them in the hole. She said that you intentionally missed one and laughed about it. Much like you do when she tosses the bags and misses one. 

You went to pick it up - standing on the thin area between the hole and the edge of the board. She tried to warn you that you'll fall but before she could do anything her fear came true and your foot slipped off the side. 

You fell chin-first into the board. 

Right away she scooped you up to get you upstairs and cleaned up. She did her best to stop the bleeding and calm you.

You've fallen before, but never one this serious. 



I knew I would have to go back to work so we drove separate. You and I in the truck and mom in the Carolla. 

We met at Aultman's ER, which, had this been a real emergency, we all would have been hosed. There wasn't a single parking spot. Mom got there before us and luckily found one as someone was leaving but I drove around aimlessly for a few minutes. 

I threw the truck in park and mom came over to take you in while I found a spot. 

Eventually I was in the right place to take a space as someone was leaving. 

Once inside we registered and gave the nurses all of your info. 

The wanted to get your vitals like height, weight, pulse and blood pressure but you weren't so trusting. 

We tried to stand you on the scale but you balled your little eyes out. So I held you and stepped on the scale and then handed you off to mom and back on the scale I went to balance it out. 

Then, we sat in a chair so they could get your pulse and blood pressure.

The nurse was excellent. She showed you that nothing would hurt by trying it on me first. You still were a little unsure and it took some calming but they got it eventually. 

You really were disinterested in the blood pressure. It was a green band that they put around your leg for a minute.

"No green!" you screamed between sobs.

Once that was done they gave you a gift. I sweet little ankle bracelet with your name on it. 



You didn't want that either. 

"Off!" you kept telling us. 

Time to play the waiting game. The clock crept closer and closer to my deadline of 1:40 p.m. when I would have to excuse myself as nearly an hour had passed since we arrived. 

All of this trauma tired you out and you fell asleep on my shoulder. 


Suddenly my phone began to ring in my pocket so I passed you to mom and excused myself to answer it. Normally in this situation I would ignore it but we have been jockeying back and forth with the dealership and the bank to purchase your blue car and I needed to take the call. 

Wouldn't you know it, I hang up and you and mom are gone. 

1:37 p.m. 

Mom knew I had to go but I still wanted to check and make sure all was as well as could be. 

I checked with a physician at the desk who took me to your room. You were still asleep on mom's chest when a doctor came in to assess your injuries. 

Mom told me to jet before you woke up as she knew if you did all hell would break loose. 

So, I headed back to work to jump on my conference call. 

At the time it seemed like the right thing to do because we all knew the injuries weren't threatening in any way but the further away from the hospital I got, the worse I felt about my decision. Especially when I got back to work and was scolded by the same two people I showed your picture to originally. 

Luckily mom texted me that stitches were not required and they just glued you back together, literally. 

You bit your tongue and the impact loosened two of your teeth that we'll need to keep an eye on. You you resisted mom changing your shirt for most of the day. 

It seemed like one of those "You should have seen the other guy!" moments. 

Judging by the photo mom sent me once you got home, you're proud of your toughness!




And so are we!

No comments:

Post a Comment