Friday, May 30, 2014

Today Ava Said Goodbye To Daddy's Truck

Little did we know that your jaunt to the ER yesterday would mark your last ride in "daddy's truck." 

For reasons we cannot come up with an answer for you have grown wildly attached to my truck. 

During the last month or so every time we head to the garage to go somewhere it's "ride daddy's truck?" 

At times you would even cry when we place you in the Carolla because you couln't go for a ride in the truck. 

We don't know if it's because you sit up higher and can see more of your surroundings or if my truck reminds you of Rocket from one of your favorite cartoons, "Little Einstein's." 

Either way, I think it broke your heat more for me to trade it in tonight than it did mine. And I've had the truck for seven years ... 

Reading this now, you have no recollection of the big red machine (and who knows, I may just have another one when you read this for the first time) here are a few photos to jog your memory. 

Looking back, I should have gotten a pic of you in the beast. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. 

She will be missed by the both of us, but it was time to get something more family friendly and fuel efficient. 

Not to worry, I think you'll grow quite fond of "blue car." And who knows, it might just be your first car someday.


I met you and mom at the Ron Marhofer dealership right after work and as I parked the truck for the last time as it's second owner I stepped out to hear you yell "daddy's truck!" one last time. 


I chuckled and responded, not for much longer. 

You were well behaved as you sat on my lap while I signed all of the documents. 

When we were done mom laced you in the new blue car and off you went. 

And I sat in the parking lot with the Carolla, sans keys. 

Funny story: the new Mazda has a push-button starting feature and as I started the Carolla to meet you two at the mall my phone began to ring. I look down to see "Wife" on the screen. 

"Honey, how do I start this thing?" mom asked. followed by "Calmly walk over here and show me, please." 

I shut down the Carolla and walked over to the Mazda that was conveniently parked right in front of the show room. I looked in the passanger side as mom tried hitting the ignition button. 

No go. Hmmmm .... 

Finally after a few attempts I asked mom to put her foot on the brake. Bingo. The car fired right up. 

I grabbed my phone from the passenger seat and went back to the Carolla. Only to watch as you an mom drove away with the car keys sitting on the passenger seat. 

I tossed both my phone and keys on the passenger seat when I walked over.  

I'm sure the salespeople got a kick out of us as I sat there and called your mom and waited for her return. 

Finally we got everything situated and could leave the lot. 

We headed to the mall to walk around and grab a bite at the food court. After we left we opted for some dessert at Country Cones. 


We ran into Marissa and her family there who ironically, just bought a van from the same dealership we were at a few hours before us. 

You enjoyed your chocolate cone and running around with your friends. Although, I must admit, we nearly ended up back in the ER. 

While playing you ran through the area with picnic tables and lost your footing, coming mere inches away from splitting your head on the leg of a table. 

I had to sheepishly go over and gather you up as a lady gasped and commented about how she thought you seriously injured yourself. 

Nope, once up all was forgotten and you continued along your way. 

After you and Laney and Liv wore yourselves out we headed home to relax for the night. 

And, as you like to do, we curled up with a good book before bed. 


Sleep well, little one. It's been a busy couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment