Thursday, May 1, 2014

Today Ava Was Made Me Melt

By the glow of my cell phone light I crept quietly to the bedroom to see if my spot had been taken and if I needed to sleep on the couch tonight. 

The world stops for Doc.
What I saw instead, kinda made my heart melt. In the faint blue light of my phone I saw you and mom asleep but mere inches apart and facing each other. As I got closer I could see your hand tightly grasping hers. 

Never before have I seen something silently scream love as much as this. I just took a minute and drank it all in. Making a lasting mental picture. 

I've often wondered what things will be like as you get older. Are we raising you right? Will you love us or scorn us when it's necessary to discipline you? Or, will we be proper parents that you'll respect and can feel comfortable coming to to discuss what's on your mind, homework, relationships ... anything? I pray everyday for the latter. 

As I stood there and watched your tiny little fingers interwoven with mom's experienced hands my phone faded to darkness and my visions of us being a close knit family were brighter than ever in that tender moment. 

You've really turned me into a softie since you've been born ... 

If you're wondering why I was coming in the door at 10:45 p.m. ... softball season kicked off and wouldn't you know it, we had the late games. 

You're a night owl but even I knew sleep would get the best of you before I would be home so I got my nightly kisses and a squeeze before heading to the ball fields. 

I can't wait until we have some early games so you and mom can come watch. It's going to be a fun summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment