Monday, January 20, 2014

Today Ava Hunted For Treasure

With a little confusion in my voice I asked "Where did you get that?" as you came from the kitchen to the living room combing your hair with a cat brush. 

You offered the brush to me then quickly turned around and made your way back to the kitchen.  I few moments later you came back to the living room with a packet of soy sauce left over from one of our take out meals from Main Moon.

Cue the proverbial light bulb illuminating above my head. You were hunting for treasure in the kitchen. 

I wasted a lot of time childproofing the drawers and cabinets in the kitchen ...


The three drawers to the left of the dishwasher have stops on them that only allow you to open them a few inches before they catch and you (the toddler) can no longer pull them open. 

The stops do a great job of keeping you from pulling the drawer all of the way out, potentially dislodge it from the tracks and injure yourself. But what they don't do, and in my naive rookie parent thought process was their intention, to kee you out of the drawers. 

In fact, until I typed the paragraph above it never dawned on me that the purpose of those stops is to keep you from injuring yourself. I always thought they were defective because they didn't keep you out of them. 

See, even I can be taught something. 

Since you've been upright, the contents of these drawers has intrigued you. Once, you even snuck over to the drawers and fished around for whatever your hand could find and lost your footing. Mom, who was doing dishes, turned around when she heard the commotion to find you sitting on the floor with your arm lodged in the middle drawer. 

Now that you're taller and more nimble on your feet you like to get on your tip toes and peek in to see what you can find. 




After handing me the soy sauce, I let you go and just watched from a distance as you dug around in the middle drawer. As soon as you found something I quickly went back to my seat as you excitedly offered me a packet of lemonade mix and turned around to do it all over again. 

In all, we ended up with the cat brush, two packets of soy sauce, lemonade mix and a Swiffer duster.

Not a bad haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment