Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Today Ava Was A Little Shy

It was you and me tonight, kid. Mom had a home game but it was just Varsity tonight, no JV. So it really wasn't worth us driving separately for one game.

A moral victory doesn't count in the W column but it must have been a good game because they took an undefeated team to OT. 

What did we do tonight? 

We ate dinner. 

What's the big deal you ask? You're been very finicky with your eating lately. We got home, took our coats, gloves, and hats off and the first word out of your mouth was "eat." 

No surprise there. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count up amount of times you've said that then when we get your food prepped you give us the duck face and turn your head away from the bite we try and give you. 

Tonight, though, was a little different. When we got to the fridge you reached up to the shelf where we had a small stockpile of your leftover Gerber meals and pulled one down and handed it to me. 

Does this mean your being sincere this time? You want to eat? Only one way to find out. 

You love putting things in the microwave. I think it's more the sense of accomplishment of opening and closing the door and pressing the buttons than the steamy edible reward at the end. 

It puts a smile on your face so if that's what makes you happy then we're happy!

As the infomercials always say "But wait, there's more!" You didn't think dinner was the only thing I was going to take from the day, did you? 

I made plans earlier in the day to meet up with a friend of mine who was looking for some help with his companies e-newsletter and looking for ideas on how to dress it up. 

We made our way over to his place so he and I could discuss business while you played with his two daughters. Addy is five and Quinn will turn two this weekend. 

You were shy at first but opened up a little and began following them around the house as they ran from room to room. They even brought you some Minnie Mouse figurines to play with which you kept placing on the dining room table next to me. 

It was a new place for you so I can only assume that's why you were a little reserved. I was surprised that you were very quiet the whole time we were there. The only peep I heard (before the battle to put your coat on when we left) was one "Minnie!" when they offered you their toys.

Your reserved nature this evening reminded me a lot of myself. I have a tendency to keep to myself and be introverted in similar situations. It's not all ad to sit back and observe.


No comments:

Post a Comment