Sunday, January 5, 2014

Today Ava Read her Books Before Church

Among the many things you've taught me as a father, one of the lasting impressions is to observe the little things. 

All throughout your life you'll be told to see the "big picture." Heed that advice when necessary but don't ever forget to take in the small stuff too.

We're not "Twice-A-Year Catholics" but admittedly our attendance record could be higher and we're working hard to be consistent on Sundays. That being said, we were getting ready to make our way to St. Anthony's this morning for the 11:00 a.m. Mass when I looked down and saw you calmly reading a book in the rocker. 


Mom had already gotten you all dolled up in your long black and white dress with the zebra on the side and some leggings.. She then set set you down in the rocker in the office so she could get ready. 

I was at my closet getting dressed in the office. I saw her set you up there and the excitement in your eyes when you felt like a big girl. 

If only we could get you to sit in your high chair like this ... but that's for another time. 

What I didn't see was the book she handed you. I was selecting my polo for morning Mass when I heard talking behind me. It wasn't anything I understood so I turned to investigate. There you were happily "reading" to yourself.



When you were done with that book you slid off the chair and we headed to your room, I assumed for a dance party or to play with your bows and headbands while mom finished up. 

You know the old saying about "Never assume ...." It held true. I was wrong again. 

You grabbed another book from your shelf and took a seat on your Minnie couch so you could enjoy a few more written words before it was time to go. 


It excites me that you enjoy reading so much, whether we're reading to you or your "reading" to yourself. 

Keep it up, kiddo!

No comments:

Post a Comment